Wednesday, September 26

Unbelievable


Today I was struck by the reality that it is almost October. Where exactly did September go? I honestly cannot tell you where September went. Wow. I still cannot believe it...

What was that you asked? What is happening in my classes?
So glad you asked.

In English, we are learning how to research and write research papers. (side note - I now know why I teach English. I teach English to keep me humble because I have no idea what I'm doing! For example, I'm teaching appositives right now. Right now I could not tell you a succinct answer for what an appositive is. Yesterday a student asked me a question about an appositive phrase and I just started laughing because I had no idea. Thank goodness I laughed even though I wanted to cry.) Please pray that I will make it through the 8th grade writing process! This unit has a heavy heavy emphasis on grammar, which is a problem for Whittington, the hick. I'm just living for our next unit, The Pearl. I can DO literature!

English in 6th grade is predominantly easier because they THINK I'm smarter than them. (8th grade knows they are smarter than me.) We are currently reading Maniac Magee! The novel is really fun and easy but deals with pretty serious themes. For example, the idea and practice of segregation runs throughout the entire book. Pray for my patience as 6th grade makes the transition from elementary to middle school.

Study Skills, wow. Study Skills. What is there to say? I feel like it is a support group for students that are freaking out about Hungarian History (arguably the hardest class at ICSB). I know it's a stretch but in this class I teach students how to study and understand themselves - learning styles, Myers-Briggs, multiple intelligences, etc. Currently we are learning about test anxiety - what it is, how to deal with it, and how to do well in different types of tests (achievement, multiple choice, essay, etc.) This class is difficult, not because of the material, but because the students think I'm their best friend. Cute, but not great for a teacher (especially in light of classroom management).

Last week we had the much anticipated and discussed MIDDLE SCHOOL WELCOME BACK PARTY. The party was my first "event" as Student Council Guru. We had a great time! But...who could not have fun when you're playing in an enormous dodge ball game complete with rules made up by middle schoolers, "medics," and you finish off the action with homemade goodies from Middle School mothers?

My ninth grade Bible study has been unbelievable. God has been so gracious! The girls are so open and honest. Not to mention that we have a great time together. Yesterday we talked about our identity or our "names" in Christ. We discussed Simon's name change to Peter after he started his journey with Jesus. Continue to pray for openness!

ELL is still tons of fun. The students are currently motivated. If the class makes a C or better on every test in a week or a 9 week period, we get to take the class period off (of learning English and doing homework) and watch a movie and play games!

(ELL Students)

The horizon:
Next weekend is going to be unbelievable.

Oliver will be at the High School Retreat, which is student run and organized. This retreat is designed to unify the high school, present the gospel, and help student mature in their faith and walk with the Lord.

Pam will be at the Middle School Missions Trip with 7th and 8th graders. They will be doing manual labor, outreach, and a Vacation Bible School type program with the neighboring Gypsy community.

I, on the other hand, will be with 6th grade. During the day we take part in a service project in our little community, Diosd. However, that evening there will be a lock-in at the school UNTIL 8AM THE NEXT MORNING. Unbelievable. I will be pulling an "all-nighter" with 6th graders. Don't worry there will be a High School Musical Marathon (Thanks Bishops for supplying the sequel - High School Musical 2!) as well as a Game Cube tournament. No doubt about it...I will have unthinkable movies, pictures, and stories from the unpredictable 6th grade.

Sorry this entry is so long, I had a lot to tell!

4 comments:

Audrey said...

Whew! Lots on your plate, Whittington. As far as grammar goes, hang in there! You can always look something up and get back to them. I--the high school English teacher--have done that myself! Enjoy the lock-in.

Alli said...

Whoa! You are super ICSB teacher/mentor/sponsor. It's amazing how you get sucked in, huh? You are incredible and those kids are blessed to have you in their lives. Miss you like a fat kid misses cake!

Kristen said...

I was a little doubtful myself of your ability to teach English after I heard you open your mouth for the first time... JK! Second graders are smarter than me, so don't sweat it. When are we going to watch "The Office" together?!

Anonymous said...

No one is smarter than me, but many are.