Monday, January 14

Populism in Hungary?

Today in Civics I tried to help students understand how disgruntled the colonists were with the British about their rights (prior to the Declaration of Independence and eventually the US Constitution). I gave them several real life examples at our school. So they could feel disgruntled...well...a class discussion rooted in American history turned into a planning session for a revolt in the 9th grade. Whoops. The 9th graders want to revolt at school...for THEIR rights. Oh wow. Supposedly they aren't coming to school tomorrow for their "voice to be heard." We'll see about that...One of their "demands" was that I be fired...because I make them learn. Hmm. What am I thinking?! Learning?! Long live populism?

I have a feeling they will be in class tomorrow. Life is never dull in secondary education.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Oh my. Funny how the oppression of the colonies can be compared to valuable learning at school in the minds of 9th graders! It is wonderful to see them so engaged; I hope you have an exuberant class on Tuesday! Enjoy this week!

MaryMartha said...

oh wow! Hope you still have a job tomorrow! AH would be SO HAPPY if you HAD to come home...Go 9th graders..FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS...i'm not sure what your "rights" are at that point :)

Kristen said...

Was glad to see you at school this afternoon. Apparently all has settled back down... :)